Whilst lots of us feel our best during the warmer months, the sun can damage our skin if we don’t protect it properly. Overtime, increased sun exposure can result in dehydration, discolouring or pigmentation and increased signs of ageing on the skin. Here are our top summer skincare tips.
1. The Importance Of SPF
Regardless of the weather, when we’re outside we’re constantly exposed to UV radiation. There are two types of UV light, both of which can increase the risk of skin cancer:
- Ultraviolet A (UVA) – A light with a longer wavelength which causes the breakdown of collagen and premature aging of the skin. This includes fine lines, wrinkles, reduced elasticity and uneven skin tone.
- Ultraviolet B (UVB) – A light with a shorter wavelength which causes skin burning. 1
Wearing SPF 50 filters out an estimated 98% of the UV rays, meaning only one-fiftieth can damage your skin. (2) UV radiation passes through clouds, meaning we should wear SPF every day. If you’re outdoors, you should choose a sunscreen with an SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of at least 30, and it needs to be reapplied every two hours. You can find out more about sunscreen and skin safety on the NHS website, here.
Along with regular use of SPF, you can support your natural collagen levels with a supplement.
Collagen has several important functions in the body, providing structure to our skin, hair and connective tissues. Shop some of our collagen bestsellers now:
- Coconut & Collagen: An expert blend of hydrolysed collagen and coconut oil, with added vitamin C to support collagen formation. 4
- Beauty Collagen Shot: A fruity formulation of beauty ingredients, including collagen, biotin and hyaluronic acid.
- Beauty Bites: A Salted Caramel Almond flavour snack, enriched with 5g of collagen, 24mg of vitamin C and 120mcg of retinol per serving.